Sunday, September 16, 2018

The Silence Says It All

It is during rare moments of absolute silence when I feel the most enlightened.  Maybe it's the time to think or the lack of distractions, but regardless I know during these moments I can generally find clarity for everything I am looking for.

Religion continues to the source of on and off confusion and frustration.  This week Shivali started religious education (Catholic- she is set to make her first communion this year), but it was also the Hindu festival time Ganesh Chaturthi- celebrating the birth of Genesha, the Elephant head baby of Lord Shiva)   I am sure my husband and MIL wish I knew more of these holidays and filled the role of Indian Daughter in Law as far as prayers or food preparation, but the reality is - I can't.  We knowingly entered into not only a cross cultural relationship, but also a cross religion.  And while Roy enjoys attending Church and GOD knows nobody dislikes celebrating Christmas, I have found it hard to relate to Hindu holidays.   Whether it be lack of knowledge, cultural barriers, or just hesitation to learn something new, I don't feel connected in anyway to Hindu holidays- even after 10 years in.
Religion is pretty deeply engrained in the Hindu culture, where people here generally just focus on the 'fun' aspects of religion.  If I reflect on the true complaints for me about Hindu holidays, what comes to mind first is - they aren't fun for me.  It isn't the kind of fun I am accustomed to, and like other things Indian which frustrate me- nothing starts on time, in between festivities everyone seems to just go about their business, I don't especially see the appeal in much of it.  I get that it may not have always been like that in Catholic religion, but in 2018 in the US it is, therefore it is all I can speak to.

It may have come to a surprise to my MIL that I was taking Shivali to Church Wednesday for religion classes, just as she was preparing to head to the temple when Roy returned from work.  I'm never sure what he tells her or if he told her, but she appeared surprised to me to learn we were going to church.   I can imagine there is a lot of confusion on her side, so in fairness, I really can't establish how much she understands of the situation and I can see that it would be odd to have an only grandchild not be overly involved in the religion.  In the days following, Shivali has accompanied them to the temple (Have I mentioned that Wisconsin has 3 Hindu temples as of last count, and 1 is right down the street from us?? How that happened in our small town I'll never know) and at some level I believe she has enjoyed it.

For those who are unaware, the temple is much different than a church.  There is a lot of floor sitting, chanting, rituals involving fire. It's non completely uninteresting, but I can definitely do without the floor sitting.   These sometimes serve food, nothing that I care to eat in anyway- rice and lentils, sometimes served on the floor (picking up on the theme?) not so much here, but definitely in India it is.  Questionable cleanliness is always a concern, as it is all volunteers and big pots cooked under the sun just don't say 'guaranteed to not have salmonella' to me.    So anyway, Shivali has been eating there during her visits this week, and I think it is safe to say she is less than thrilled.

I personally see no issue with engaging with multiple religions, especially when the point is to learn and feel connected and involved with something bigger than you.    I stayed home from both today (I think it's the last day of the Ganesh festival, but don't quote me) to both catch up on work and household chores, but also to have a few moments of quiet without the usual commotion and TVs blaring, someone asking for something.  With a clear head, I can say- I needed it.  I've been running on empty for awhile and needed a little reboot.   I can imagine once again that my MIL is unclear or unhappy I don't go.   If I dressed up in my Indian best and tagged along for group entertainment value only, it probably would have been a nice gesture.  Today I couldn't do it- for lots of reasons and I right now I don't regret that in spite of a little Catholic guilt.

The bottom line is this- the blending of cultures, religion, food, values, and approach never gets any easier.  The target keeps moving and we have to keep adjusting.  I don't know when it will be 'solved', I don't think that is even possible. I don't know if I should look for it or try for it, I guess I'll do what I always do and just keep forging forward doing my best to stir this concoction into a digestible substance.
Ganesh Festival pic from India. The statues are very impressively done, and if my limited Hindu knowledge serves me right, the crowd is bringing it to the river to immerse it on the last day of the Festival. Seems like an awful waste of a beautiful statue, but reincarnation has it's sacrifices I guess....

 

2 comments:

  1. भारत पकिस्तान का विभाजन कोई अच्छी घटना नहीं थी एक तरफ जहाँ भारत को आज़ादी मिल रही थी वो भी पुरे २०० सालों की गुलामी के बाद , तो वहीँ उसी भारत के टुकड़े हो रहे थे जो अनंत काल से एक अखंड देश के रूप में सदियों से एक जुट रूप में रहता चला आ रहा था , इस मूवी को देखने के बाद आपके समझ में आएगा की आखिर वास्तव में वो कौन सा शख्स था जिसकी वजह से भारत पाकिस्तान विभाजन हुआ !!!
    पूरी मूवी देखने के लिए दिए हुए लिंक पर क्लिक करें :- Partition of India

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the people like the festival time they enjoyed lot at that time. lot of peoples they want blonde hair extension for more beauty at the time of festival.. Blonde Indian hair

    Fond of blonde Indian hair? Then buy it from Adorable hair suppliers the renowned wholesale hair distributors with valuable local and international customers.https://www.realindianhair.com

    ReplyDelete