Sunday, November 12, 2023

Diwali: It's like Christmas and 4th of July had a Baby

 As with most new experiences in India, I rarely know what to expect.  Hindus have a lot of what they call holidays which have varying degrees of activity, most being of the highly religious type.  Being a non-Hindu I don't always feel a lot of attraction to the activities performed, especially when it involves fasting.

Diwali (pronounced DiVali), is the Festival of Light which celebrates good over evil, which seems like a pretty legit goal.  We started the day just sitting around doing nothing, but by evening everyone had Christmas-type lights up, decorations everywhere, and added extra items to the in-home alter.

Everyone gets dressed up in new clothes and gets ready for the evening.








After that, we went outside for fireworks.  Roy had gone off with my brother-in-law to purchase some and had come back with a giant box full. I'm generally not that keen on too much fireworks watching, but I was up for the experience. 

As with most things in India, fireworks shooting is done without a lot of regard for safety.  Lots of people in small areas, holding the fireworks that are going off, little kids with no shoes on, and people walking all over shooting off different types of fireworks right into the crowd.  It was terrifying at first, but I stood aside and it wasn't as scary.

We all had a good time watching and laughing about the possibility of my unmentionables catching fire as they dry on the balcony.😆 Overall, it was a lot of fun and was definitely an experience I won't forget anytime soon. 




We ended the night with a dinner out at a 'Mexican' style restaurant on a rooftop with an amazing view well past my bedtime at midnight.💖




No comments:

Post a Comment