Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Religious Experience Like No Other

Hindu families will periodically request a priest to come to their home and perform a religious ceremony for good luck or to bless an event.  Roy's family had requested this to occur for both Roy and my marriage as well as the birth of the baby and overall family well being. 

I wasn't totally sure what to expect.  One day when we came home from shopping, the priest was here discussing the specifics.  He didn't look overly priest-like, he was young dressed in plain clothing but I have seen many Hindu priests and know they look differently when they do their prayer ceremonies.

The morning of the ceremony, we cleaned the whole house thoroughly and cleared the living room completely of furniture.  Roy and his Dad went shopping for a whole list of items including fruits, vegetables, rice, desserts, etc.  They laid these all out in the living room and also his sister painted a design on the ground where apparently they will do the worship.  Here is a pic:


During these religious ceremonies, you don't eat before they occur so I had heard at first that the priest is coming at noon and it would last about an hour so I didn't think that was too bad. However, when noon came and went and they were not yet dressed or at all concerned, I knew that it was going to be awhile.  And actually I should have known better because nothing here starts on time.  Indians don't have the same time concept as Americans- thats for sure.

Around 2, he finally showed up.  He brought more items with him that he began to immediately set up.  A little alter was created in which he placed the god statue.  Apparently nobody is able to touch this statue and he keeps it in a bag around his neck covered by his scarf.  He set things up in a very methodical way.  I didn't understand what he was all doing, but his mom immediately joined in and handed him items- milk, rice, flowers, etc.  She also started cutting up the fruit and veges and putting it on these big plates.  I wasn't sure why, but I guessed I would find out.

He then started his prayers.  We all sat around him as he chanted, threw flowers at the statue, and mixed combinations of the items laying around him.  I wasn't sure what he was saying or doing, but I watched attentively. (The guy in orange is the priest)

Periodically he would ask for a family member to say something or bring something and at one point he was doing blessings for Roy and the baby.
As the time went on, and he chanted and continued to put ingredients together, I started to wonder how he knew how to do these things.  How did he know what combinations of flowers, fruit, nuts, etc to put together and for what reason.  I also selfishly wondered what time he might be done with that since I was starving at this point (although I had snuck a few cookies from my suitcase while getting dressed in the morning.

The funniest part was when the priest was in the middle of his prayers and suddently his cell phone went off!  And the ringtone was some modern dance music! It was inside one of the bags he brought, so everyone just kinda looked at each other and snickered.  As he continued, his cell phone went off a second time.  This time, Roy's dad started dancing in his seat...I almost lost it at this point. Luckily Debika reached into his bag to turn it off, while I imagined someone kicking a puppy (one of the most non-funny things I can think of) which I always do in order not to laugh.

For the grand finale, he decided to start a fire in the house.  I knew Roy had gotten bricks and sand from a nearby construction site (giving the guy 20 rupees to hand them over) but wasn't sure exactly how this was going to go.  Well, I'll let the video explain:

After the fire went out, apparently it was time to eat.  I learned the cut up fruit and sweets were for us, which was good.  They were all laid out so they would be blessed and then ready for us to eat.   By this point some of Roy's college friends had come over.  The room was full of about 20 or so people.
After the priest left and everyone was munching, I started to feel a little overwhelmed.  Everyone was talking amongst themselves in various languages but I was just kinda there.  I ended up going into the bedroom by the baby who was sleeping and just kinda laid there with her.   After awhile Roy came in and I admit- I had a little mini breakdown.  Not totally sure why but I think just missing home and it does make me feel a little lonely and left out when everyone in a room is speaking a language you don't understand.  Roy took me to McDonalds and shopping after this, so life was good again.

Festival activities posted next!

1 comment:

  1. I love it that shopping and McDonalds was the cure! Love your blog.... keep it up!

    ReplyDelete