Sunday, March 10, 2019

Somewhere Between English and Bengali

People generally find it curious that my MIL doesn’t speak much English, yet we somehow find ways of communicating. It isn’t for lack of trying, but maybe lack of effort that we haven’t learned each other’s language. I honestly think my ‘learn another language’ gene is not present, I simply can’t learn and recall the words. Maybe with months of dedicated schooling I could, but in present state it isn’t possible. 

Regardless, the interesting part of this story is the fact that in spite of this deficit we both possess, we get along remarkably well. I might not ever get to hear stories from her childhood or deep, dark secrets but I do get an opportunity to relate and discuss and share opinions. I’m a lot like her in reality, which is actually an ironic twist of fate. We both are very methodical, planfull, and opinionated. We both are care takers and the one to keep the order, but also sometimes create the chaos. We are both simple, yet complex. Mild mannered on the surface, but passionate and feisty at the core. I learned most of these things through observation, not necessarily through her telling me, but nonetheless I have spent enough time with her to understand I’m spot on.


We were alone today in my hotel room for an hour or so, chatting the entire time. Gossip about relatives, last minute wedding plans, funny YouTube videos. It was fun. I can say I very much enjoyed it, and even decided together when she would return to the States to live. Roy smerks when we joke about these ‘conversations’. I’m sure he is both intrigued and horrified that we learned to communicate. Who knows what notes we will compare or stories will be exchanged. 
What I do know is this is yet again another example of how barriers in culture can be overcome to prove that humans are all the same under the surface. If you let the surface dictate you, the potential to lose out is pretty much guaranteed.


No comments:

Post a Comment