Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A day in the Life

Day 2: Well....Jet lag has successfully set in.  Slept a lot today, as did baby (6 hrs in the afternoon). Neither one of us could manage to keep our eyes open.  There wasn't much going on so I thought it was just best to go with it and try and get it out of my system.  Roy was also pretty tired, he usually doesn't get jet lag but he did this time, so we are all pretty useless today.

Earlier this morning we got up and I thought it would be fun to take baby for a walk.  So Roy, I and Shivali in her stroller hit the road.  The road outside their house isn't overly busy but the cars and bikes still whip by a pace that would scare most people.  We turned off on a side street which was much better- Here is a pic.
We walked down this street to the main busy road where Roy wanted to cross to go to the 'pharmacy' to get baby some diaper rash cream.  I decided to stay on this side and people watch.
I saw some of the street cleaners cleaning up outside this shop. They use these stick kinda brooms that you have to bend over the whole time to use. They don't seem that much fun to me but everyone uses them and don't seem to mind.   Lots of people stared at us because apparently a baby stroller is quite unique here, and even more unique is an Indian guy pushing it with a white girl next to him. People are visibly confused when they see us.  Like this lady- who I was interested in because she was in a full decorated sari but carrying a basket on her head.  I wanted to take her picture, but thought it would be rude but as she passed every time I turned around to take it she was turning around to watch us, but I managed to get this without looking too rude.
We had a quick snack at this coffee place which makes these chicken sandwiches I like from the last time I was here and was off to home again. It was getting hot already, of course people here don't think so and wear jackets and winter hats when its less than 70 degrees. And I look like I'm going to melt constantly.....not right.

Got home and was super tired so thats when all the napping started.  I took a few pics of the neighbor guy (where the cute school girl from yesterday lives- I guess its her grandpa) He basically does 2 things that I see- In the morning he washes his clothes in the back of the house (yup, in his undies), and at night he drinks in the front yard by himself. 

Not much else going on- its almost bedtime here.  They want us to eat dinner now but its almost 9pm and we just had a giant plate of rice and spicy potato at around 4 so I don't feel like eating again. I think they think this is strange but I just can't do it.  His mom's cooking is awesome though. We eat very traditionally- sitting on the floor with a small plate. They give me a fork, but they always eat with their hands.  Its hard for me, but I sometimes try and join in.

Tomorrow we'll shop for clothes. One of Roy's school friends apparently is getting engaged and there will be a party next week so I want to buy a new sari and you need time to have the blouse and underskirt stitched (it will cost less than $10 made to fit from scratch).  These sari shops are amazing- they have floor to ceiling sari cloths (for those that don't know exactly what this is- its about 3 yards of fabric that the women here will wrap around themselves in a decorative way, and wear along with a short blouse (I call it a tummy top because its short like those 80's shirts I hated). The fabric is hand made and hand beaded most of the time- silk or you can get simple cotton ones but I am especially drawn to the bright colored blinged out ones.  Its an expedition to go to these places, you sit at a counter (like when you pick out an engagement ring in a fancy jewelry store) and the guy shows you what he thinks you like or you try and guide him by color or type if you know. Its fun for me, but Roy going into a system overload when we are there. 

Thats it for today, I just saw I have the option to upload a video, so you guys just have to get an idea of the traffic here so I'll shoot a video tomorrow.   

No comments:

Post a Comment