Friday, September 30, 2011

Doesn't Anyone Else Think its Hot???

Day 6: I am feeling MUCH better today. Finally had something to eat this morning and even felt in the mood for a little back home so went to Pizza Hut this afternoon. Now, its not quite what I'm used to but close.  Crust is the same, sauce is more spicy and less Italian-ish, and of course no beef- but I did see pepperoni which is a bit rare (For those who don't know- India is 80% Hindu and Hindus don't eat any beef- cows are sacred. And most wouldn't eat pork because its considered a very dirty animal that only the poorest people would eat). 

We shopped today for Roy's sister's wedding ring.  Their wedding tradition is different here that either the girl or guy's family would supply the rings. Gold jewelry, as previously mentioned, is super important to people here when they are getting married so they would have chains, bangles, earrings, and rings custom made from 23K gold for the occasion.  We picked out something really nice for her and it should be ready before we leave.  Roy also got a little something for you-know-who....I'm pretty excited about it.

The whole time I have been here, his family has thought that my wrists are too bare-meaning a married woman should always have certain bangles on her wrists So, they got me some last night. In Bengali (Where Roy's family is from- the state of West Bengal/Calcutta area) culture, they wear a bangle made of shell and a red hard plastic one. Apparently if it ever breaks you have to bury it under some tree...hmmm, not sure about this but I guess we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

So, anyway back to the theme of this post- ya, its hot here.  His family said its cold because they live on the 3rd floor (which is actually the 4th floor in our terms) but to me its always hot.  Its true late night through early morning- there is a cool breeze and its really comfortable. Of course during this time his family is freezing with giant heavy blankets and sweaters but here is me, still sleeping with the fan on full and no blanket.  During the day, usually twice- once around 10 and again around 5, the power goes out.  When I first experienced this the first time I was here, I was shocked. We were shopping in a store and it all went dark. And of course, I panic but nobody else flinches but just keeps doing what they are doing. Its a very odd reaction, or lack there of, I should say.  So anyway, when this happens, especially at night, its usually pretty still and hot out and I feel I may melt into a puddle.  Everyone says it is warm, but they just don't seem to mind it the way I do.  I'm trying to adapt, but those of you fellow Wisconsonites can relate I'm sure.

On the way back from shopping today, we dropped my 2 sari's off at the local tailor to have the blouses stitched. She'll have them done by the 4th which will be in good time for the festival activities coming up.  Can't write much about that now because I'm truly not sure what will all go on, but I'm told its a big deal (not Christmas big deal, but pretty close- without the presents, snow, santa, or tree).
While walking back we passed a couple of young girls playing with a dog like Toby. I instinctively called out- hey Toby and they both smiled.  As we walked by, I looked back and they were waving. I think they may have thought I was Madonna which never gets old here.  I looked back a second time and they were still waving.  I also snapped this picture on the way home:
For those with a good memory, yes this is the sacred animal to Hindu's yet he appears to be starving eating garbage on the roadside.  And I saw one earlier walking in traffic and get bumped by a passing car (although I have read and been told that hurting or killing a cow can mean having your car started on fire by passers by).  This makes me feel bad.  I'm going to start carrying snacks to feed to them. Got a few to feed this dog that has been lingering by.  There are tons of street dogs everywhere. Most are a little scary and wild looking but this one seems nice. You wouldn't dare touch him but we do feed him so when I saw him today I fed him some crackers.  Here are some other street dogs I saw on the way home:
Here are some other interesting pics from today:
 Cute school kids
 They transport EVERYTHING by bike here.
 Overstuffed truck- no safety standards here.....
 Guys carrying toys on top their heads. Lots of people carry things like this.
The auto rickshaw driver who took us to town (our Brother-in-law to be has the motorcycle today). Its fun sorta- kinda like riding in a clown car.  I saw one of these packed with about 10 school kids today.

No comments:

Post a Comment