Friday, April 22, 2016

Sweat, Relatives, and a Mercedes Benz

That pretty much sums up my last few days, with extra emphasis on the sweat.  I am told it is unseasonably hot in Bangalore right now, but to me it is always hot.  This may be a little more than I was planning on, but as always I am doing what I can to cope.


So, let me back you into what is happening here since landing in Bangalore a day and a half ago.
With me arriving just days before the wedding is set to take place, several of the relatives were already here and had setup camp (meaning: they were sleeping everywhere in the living room when I arrived at 2am).   There is always a certain level of translation gap which happens as they all talk amongst themselves and periodically someone attempts to catch me up.  The latest confusion was a request for me to take a picture of Town Uncle for either a marriage photograph or his death, whichever happens first.   As always, I smile and everyone just looks at me and laughs.  I guess there is an entertainment factor in seeing who can create the most confusion on my face.


As we begin the pre wedding rituals, the crowd and heat has become practically unbearable.  I basically just try and sit still somewhere with the goal of limiting the amount of sweat dripping down my face.  Even with the ceiling fans on top speed, windows open, air coolers running and the periodic running of the A/C Roy installed it is still hotter than Hadies in this apartment. Most of the relatives don't seem to mind, but do comment to me about how hot it is which I am pretty sure is just to make me feel better about looking like a melted snowman.


We have begun the process of cooking and eating on the rooftop deck, which is always an experience.  Yesterday's breakfast came around noon (after I had already found my way through 2 pieces of toasted bread with a cheese slice on each) which consisted of potato curry and fried bread on a banana leaf plate.   One of the most difficult adjustments for me is in eating style here.  It isn't just the food itself, it is the timing and structure of it all which is most difficult for me.  Even though the relatives are up early, they typically just drink tea and then don't eat anything until this 'breakfast' level meal is served.  I wasn't even aware that yesterday's meal was breakfast until after someone informed me around 3 or 4 that it was time for lunch.  It seems this potato/fried bread combination is a catch-all meal since we have also had it for lunch and dinner other times.  It should have been no surprise to me that we had the same 'breakfast' today, but this time around 11. While I definitely enjoy most Indian food, I find that having similiar tasting food everyday for all means is just not that appealing to me- especially in 100+ heat.


Some of the relatives are starting to feel sorry for me I think.  I Love You Aunt sent for cold soda for me this afternoon, she probably thought I was just moments away from melting into the floor.  There is a nice breeze today which is making it slightly nicer than the last 2 days, weather wise at least, however more relatives have arrived today so there will be even less personal space in this apartment which is why I have retreated to the back bedroom for a little solidarity and thought collection.


Yesterday my dear husband had the plan to rent a car for use in shopping and various errands.  In true Roy style he rented a Mercedes, which he swears is the same price as other cars that size.  The good news is the A/C was powerful and the car itself was comfortable.  I noticed a strange dynamic as we drove through the crowded streets of Bangalore.  People were more-so staring at the car instead of me, which was a nice change of events.   With the small, crowded streets the best mode of transportation here is motorcycle, however some people opt for a super small car.


I noticed many of the other roadway occupants giving us the right of way and just overall maintaining a distance that you don't typically find here.  It was a nice change of pace and gave us 3 a nice little break away from the chaos at home.  Vali convinced Roy to take us to McDonalds on the way home, and although I wasn't that hungry it was a nice change of pace from potato curry and fried bread.


I'm not exactly sure what events are coming up next.  I try and just understand what is going on at the moment, versus worry about what is coming up next.  I am fairly confident whatever it is will involve a large amount of Indian relatives, high heat, and lots of conversation I don't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment