Thursday, September 28, 2017

A Festivus for the Rest of Us

The purpose of our visit to India this time is to celebrate the major Hindu festival of Dussehra. (pronounced dush-ra).  It basically celebrates good triumphing evil.  How our family celebrates is through visiting of god statues placed  various locations across town.

Because I had already visited India during Dussehra, I kinda knew what to expect, which as with most things here is both good and bad for me.  The fun of the holiday comes from all the interaction and activity at each of these festival locations.   Yesterday we visited 2 different places- one in the morning and one in the evening.  Morning is more about prayers and evening is more about music and eating, which honestly was much more fun and appealing to me.  There really isn't anything for me to do specifically at these events, but I do my best to not stand out like a turd in a punchbowl.



Look mom- he is sprinkling holy water! I swore he purposely got me right in the face, and I fought to not make the sign of the cross.



Shivali, me, and our best friend- the fan.

They sell guns here which is an interesting contrast.

The morning events started out with some worship and a free lunch.  These things never quite work out for me for some reason.  In spite of everyone's excitement, I find myself in a familiar sense of dread knowing the food and eating style and conditions are likely to push me far from my comfort zone.   I somehow managed, only once potentially offending the entire room when I accidentally pulled my plate back too soon from the gentlemen serving the 'god's food' (Catholic equivalent to a host) and a bit fell to the floor.  Luckily (or unluckily, however you look at that) I wasn't thrown out and we ate our lunch and moved on.  


As I am standing in the large crowds, everyone speaking different languages and everyone looking completely different than me, I can't help but feel a sense of sadness in a way.  It's a bit hard to describe, because people in general are nothing but nice to me so I have no specific reason to feel sad.  I guess it is part of the unfamiliarity and uncertainty of the unknown.  This 'quiet' time gives me a lot of opportunity to reflect and to people watch.  I've referred to this in past posts as my 'Sixth sense' because I am not at all concerned with what is being said that I can better focus on what is being done.  During these moments of observation I come to understand a lot more about the culture- not all is pleasant but much of it is just so vastly different than I just soak it all in.

Today in particular I felt very much out of my element.  I'm not sure if it is as I get older and find myself enjoying things more familiar or what, but I spend a lot of time wishing I could be at home.  It is during these times that I have tried to look for things that remind me a home so I can feel more comfortable.   I started to imagine what that moment would sound like if I could give it a theme song- and that definitely would be the Misfit song from my favorite childhood animated movie- Rudolph the red nosed reindeer.  In that moment I felt very much like a dentist in a room full of elves. : (

We went home and got comfortable, but to my surprise we had plans to attend another event.  This time Roy rented a car, so we have a little more flexibility in terms of getting places and this was a larger vehicle that can accommodate the entire group, which isn't overly common here.  In evening Bangalore traffic it took an hour to get there, so we first visited to God statue and my most interesting observation is those taking selfies with the statue!




After visiting the god statue for awhile we decided to go check out the food scene.   For just a moment I swore I smelled the 4H booth at the county fair and was longing for one of those greasy cheeseburgers, but in a mainly Hindu country you will never find beef products out in the open and certainly not at a religious event.  The smell brought me to home just for a second, nonetheless. I quickly realized that this setup is very much like a county fair.  Lots of different finger food options, socializing, and Roy even explained that used to cruise for chicks during these events- so very much like a county fair LOL!





As we looked around, I stumbled across this booth selling these twisted potatoes that were quite delicious.  They even put cheese on it!  It takes some mental negotiating to not put too much thought into this street food as far as preparation style and cleanliness, but as with most things here you do best when you just roll with it.






We had a few other things as well, no hot dogs or deep fried oreos, but I enjoyed them nonetheless.   I actually had a good time and felt a little bit more like I fit in.  It helped that I wore a long dress from home, like Pretty Woman, I am more prepared to deal with life in my own clothes.

The festival continues for several more days, but unfortunately today I could not awake from my coma like sleep to go today.  Also, my stomach was a bit upset so Shivali and I stayed in today.  Once I finally awoke after noon, I felt guilty for not going.  I saw pictures online of everyone dressed up and I felt bad for not being there, but honestly think they probably have a better time without having to worry about me and I also could use a little downtime.  Everyone here appears to really enjoy the closeness and constant interaction, but I find the inner introvert coming out while I'm here and prefer to have a bit of alone time when I can.


I never quite know what is coming up next, it isn't like I'm specifically excluded but I am very much just along for the ride.   I watched a few episodes of King of Queens yesterday and even though I wasn't in my own bed, in my own continent, in my own country or city I felt much better about where I was at.  This always happens right when we are about to leave, that somehow the adjusting process gets a little bit easier when you look for ways of bringing familiarity back into your environment. I guess that could be said about anything new a person takes on.   India will forever challenge me to find moments of comfort and home, but as always I'm up for the challenge.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment