Saturday, September 23, 2017

The Day 3 Blues Strike Again

Day 3 always ends up being a hard one for me.  Still not over the jet lag or accustomed to the weather and already wishing I could eat almost anything from my kitchen that doesn't involve Indian spices or rice.    I consider myself very fortunate for having such an understanding family here that is constantly looking out for me and trying to figure out what will keep me happy.   I can imagine this isn't an easy task, as everyone here is accustomed to eating pretty much the same things day in and out, but having me here is probably something like getting an exotic pet.  You don't quite know what or when to feed it and you just try not to kill it off right away.

Today I was up early and thankfully Shivali is feeling better, so we both showered and dressed and had already rummaged for food prior to 8 am.   Here, most people either work late or just stay up late, so early mornings aren't really a thing. Being a morning person, this is another aspect of the continued challenges of adjusting to life here.  Roy headed off earlier to play badminton with some friends, so it was pretty much just me and the maid up and around- me playing on my phone and her cleaning up the house. (hired help is so cheap here that almost everyone takes advantage of that service)

The morning routine goes something like this- everyone sits around in their bedclothes until well past noon and nobody really seems to eat or wants to.  There are no specific plans made or discussed.  I guess this is why Roy always feels like weekends are for lounging, where I want to take advantage of the time off to go out and do something or work around the house doing things I don't get to do during the week while I'm working.   I guess this is just part of the lifestyle which I might not ever understand.

By 2 pm both of my SILs decided we needed to go out for some food and drinks and maybe a little shopping.  Always ready for a new adventure, I was happy to come along and get out of the house for a bit.   I was informed we would go to a bar and grill, which I am obviously familiar with but not in terms of Indian style so I wasn't quite sure what to expect.   After traveling 20 min by cab and going down a back alley and up an elevator that would certainly be condemned back home, I wasn't sure what was going to be on the other side, but I was pleasantly surprised by a very cool and shabby chic, eclectic place with an open air atmosphere and cool music.  We were seated along the outer wall in a fun pillow covered bench/table combo where we ordered 3 Sex on the Beach drinks just for the fun of it, and a few appetizers.  We laughed and talked and shared stories and I can easily say this is the most at home I have felt in more than a week.   As we finished up our drinks and food, 18 and Life by Skid Row played in the background and I was instantly transported back to 1990.  I could never have imagined hearing that song in a bar in India someday when we used to sing to it as a teenager, but that goes to show you that you never quite know what life has in store for you.











We headed downstairs for some dessert to a previously verified as totally acceptable Krispy Kreme shop.  As we made our donut selections, the counter worker informed us of some free items available if we purchased so many.  After some initial confusion on the free item count, we settled in to our table only to find some of the 'free' items as being charged for.  Most of the donuts had been packaged up for Shivali and others at home, but a few items we intended to eat there.  My SIL argued with the counter guy who ultimately agreed to give back some money.  A short time later he appeared at our table in an attempt to repo 2 of the 'free' donuts.  In the confusion, we handed the small extra box back but I instantly regretted not licking them and waiting for his reaction on whether or not he was going to still want them back.   I didn't see whether he ate them, tossed them, or put them back in the case but the entire episode struck me as odd.  Luckily I was distracted by a threesome who came in and ordered 1 donut and proceeded to split it using tiny spoons meant for the ice cream the shop also serves.   What strikes me the most about this is that I've seen people eat all sorts of mushy, watery, and otherwise wet foods with their bare, unwashed hand but yet they have some aversion to eating a donut without a utensil? I have to think about that one.


The ride home was otherwise uneventful, except for the excruciating 1 hour drive through bumper to bumper traffic.  I've learned that a cab driver willing to drive into incoming traffic to get you ahead of the pack is a good thing, in spite of my better judgment.

I am not at all sure what tomorrow has in store.  As normal there is no discussion of plans or specific activities so I guess I'll just wait and see.   It is almost 9:30 here and there is no signs yet of dinner intentions, so I guess I'll just make my internet rounds as I wait for something I am not that keen on eating to materialize and we'll go from there.  Then off to bed for another night of laying awake most of the time and staring at the wall.  Good Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment