Sunday, September 24, 2017

International Coma


One would assume with the number of times I have traveled internationally that I would be at a point where I easily adjust to the time zone difference, but as with everything that seems feasible and likely I have been challenged this round as much, if not more than other times.

It comes on suddenly, just as you are feeling well rested and fresh from the shower and have a little something to eat and thinking you will start the day.  A ton of bricks comes out of nowhere and wipes out the entire day.   I just woke up from a 4 hour nap, but luckily the entire house is sleeping as well so I guess technically it doesn't matter.

I should have no excuses for not feeling rested when I return home, although I always complain that India isn't a place to 'relax'.,   Our first few days here are just a lot of sitting around, which everyone seems content with.  I guess I don't know what else I would rather be doing, as I am not yet up to speed with the time zone this is probably the best option- although not exactly exciting.

Roy has been gone since I fell asleep attempting to get his motorcycle repaired.  It quit running yesterday and sounds like a pretty critical situation.  This makes him particularly sad as his dad purchased this bike for him when he first started working here in Bangalore.  I can't blame the guy for having such an intense connection to any purchase made by his dad.  His dad worked very hard his entire life to provide for the family and it warms my heart how much value Roy puts in these items.   So, the plan is to have it repaired and we'll figure out what to do with it from there.  Technically nobody is using it here anymore, but still he would never sell it or anything like that.

Not much else to report on unfortunately.  I thought of going out for a walk to look for some inspiration, but that seems like a lot of work so I just took a shower and did some laundry.  Luckily we have a washing machine here, but unfortunately there is no dryer so things are hung up on a line on this back porch thing to dry, but it is so humid and damp out that I don't see how they will dry.  Oh well, who needs dry underwear anyway. Speaking of underwear, this little outdoor patio faces a construction site, so where it was previously a mandatory requirement to hide your drying undergarments from the outside world, apparently this job site poses no real risk and therefore all items are hung with equal opportunity.

I am making due in the wet bathroom the best I can.  It isn't at all what I am accustomed to, but at least it has a warm shower with good pressure and a western toilet.  If you are following along, you already understand my struggles with the Indian wet bathroom.  It is a hot and humid little cave of a room that offers no specific luxury or comforts and in my opinion, not even particularly functional.  Every time you go in there, your feet are wet and the bottoms of your pants get wet which is annoying.  When you go to shower, there is no specific place to put your towel or dry clothes to change into, so I like to try and close off the entire attached bedroom so I can sufficiently 'air out' before getting dressed but I think most of the family thinks this is odd. Luckily they are nice, and would never say it.

Next up is the festival time and the reason we came at this time.  Everyone seems excited to go visit all these locations across the city where a statue of god which is honored in this festival is placed.
For me, I'm kinda just along for the ride trying not to offend anyone, not be backed into having to eat anything scary and not end up having to sit in one of these ultra dangerous 20 year old cheap patio type chairs that are meant to support a 80 pound person. Those are pretty much my biggest fears at the moment.

 My goal right now is just to try and stay awake until Roy gets back. Shivali is watching some videos about little kids eating pizza and I am starting to feel hungry for something not glopped over rice- maybe Rocky Rococo or Butch's. What I wouldn't give for a Papa Murphy. Pizza is available here but they are always trying to sneak in some weird ingredients like baby corn, hot peppers or meat that is meant to replicate sausage or pepperoni. I can usually make due, but usually ends up not quite hitting the mark. Oh well, off to my internet rounds!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment