Monday, June 16, 2014

Strictly Indian, but I have tried it...

Having been to India 6 or 7 times now, I have witnessed some things here that I have never seen or heard of anywhere else. Some are odd, others endearing, but all are unique to India and I'm proud to say I have tried them all.

• Eating on the floor
• Eating with my hand
• No TP bathrooms
• Washing my clothes in the shower with me and hanging them out on the roof to dry
• Street food
• Sharing bottles of water with large groups of family members without putting your mouth on the bottle
• Riding in an auto rickshaw all over town and knowing by sight which ones will be more comfortable and spacious 
• Not flinching when the motorcycle you are on squeezes between 2 buses just to continue weaving in and out or bumper to bumper traffic while avoiding frequent speed bumps and the occasional dog, cow, and person
• Butting ahead in line because I can
• Wearing a 5lb fully hand beaded silk sari all around town with 22k gold jewelry- and fitting in just fine (and loving it!)
• Waving off beggars and street vendors with a flippant hand gesture and firm NO
• Touching your elder's feet when they arrive and leave (and watching them gush  and melt over the gesture)
• Automatically moving off to the side at the sound of a horn beep (and not panicking) in a place where cars and motorcycles shouldn't be, but they are ultimately always present

I am positive there are more, but that is all I can think of now. I'll do a part 2 if I can come up with more.

No comments:

Post a Comment