Saturday, June 14, 2014

"When are we going to see the Princess?"....

This was Shivali's only question when we arrived at Mysore Palace yesterday.  I didn't even think about it previously because I had been there before and knew it wasn't anything like Cinderella's Castle, but I guess to a 3 year old the mention of visiting a palace would assume there is some sort of a princess involved. (Her expression in this picture is priceless)

After several days of staying at home and following the relatives normal routine of sleep, eat, sleep, eat we decided it was time to get out and see something. There are several places within a couple of hours drive that we could have traveled to, but the majority of the family wanted to see Mysore and even though I had seen it before I was happy to get out and do something.

We rented a large 12 person van and driver for 18 hrs+ at the rate of just $100- a pretty good deal if you ask me, especially split between multiple families.   The van was set to arrive at 6am, which meant we set an alarm at 5am in typical American style, but what I didn't remember is we aren't in America.  So although I was up, showered, dressed and basically ready to go by 6 I found that most relatives were not yet out of bed and were casually lounging around at 5 minutes to 6.   Roy announced that the driver called and said he was running late and would be there within an hour. I think people here count on things happening late, which is why they are never on time (and so the cycle runs on)

I think we finally left somewhere around 7:30 am, feeling all excited and happy in our roomy A/C van.  The scenery to Mysore is really nice, with rolling hills and open hi-ways for at least part of the time.  I always enjoy traveling throughout India and just watching out the window for all the interesting sites available here.  Early morning you find the people out doing their morning 'business' by the Hi-way, as well as people brushing their teeth on the street and rushing around to wherever they need to go and equally as many standing around doing nothing.

I saw a lot of horse carts pulling wagons full of various items, mixing in with the hi-way traffic like they are meant to be there. As always, there are a lot of people walking and crossing the crazy traffic, including many small school aged children.

As we get into Mysore, our first stop is at a famous ancient temple that is honored with thousands of street vendors who attack you the moment you get out of the car.  Our first attack was on Shivali who was offered a horse ride up to the temple entrance. The horses looked healthy and happy, and of course Shivali was thrilled with the idea so we paid the buck or so and were on our way. Inside the temple looks shockingly similar to the entrance to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyworld, only authentic.  Its pretty cool and always really enlightening to me to see how devoted Hindus are.

After visiting a second temple high up on the hill, we headed off to the palace.  My understanding is there is a royal family member or several members who stay there during certain festival times, but most of the time the palace is on display as a tourist attraction.  For whatever reason, attractions in India require a 'camera fee' to take your camera inside. I guess it is just a secondary way of making money, but dumb and unnecessary in my opinion and luckily it is not well monitored or regulated so decided I was going to sneak a few pictures this time.  And actually there are no cameras allowed in the palace, but I bootlegged a few anyway.
Is this GORGEOUS or what???

In true royal form, they give camel and elephant rides out back of the palace.  I normally don't like these things because I know these animals are not treated well typically, but Vali insisted and I think Jordan had a good time as well.

A few things about traveling around India make me a little crazy:
  • The heat.  Even with a nice breeze and pleasant weather we have been having, being out in the sun for just a short while turns me into a melted pile of human.
  • The crowds.  It doesn't seem to matter if it is mid week or weekend, early morning or late at night the crowds are always out.  It is exhausting and wearing on my patience to always be lost in a sea of people.
  • Habits of the crowd.  Indian people have a bad habit which emulates their driving, basically it is like playing chicken. They charge right into you almost to see if you will move or not.  It is tiring and annoying, but sometimes I take advantage by seeing how many people I can get to move by either my intimidating height or just the fact I look different.
  • Lack of lines.  Another notorious Indian habit is the seemingly inability to form a line of people to enter anything.  Again, in driving style it is just a mad push with no regard for age, gender, or position.
  • Staring or worse.  Having traveled here many times, I am well aware of some people's limited exposure to white people. It gives me the feeling that people with disabilities back home probably get, as far as the long blank stares and curious double-takes.  I notice it more when traveling outside of Bangalore to more remote areas.  Some are just innocent curiosity, but some are borderline creepy.  Oh and most confusing feelings come from my own personal paparazzi that inevitably show up at most attractions we are at.  Some are discreet and pretend to take a picture of their friend who just happens to be standing in front of me, but others boldly run after me taking pictures.  It is an odd feeling that doesn't really make me feel flattered or scared, just odd- like, what are they doing with it? Framing it?
We didn't get home until midnight and were all hot and exhausted and feeling kinda like this:

Family trip day 2 just came to an end.  I am way to tired to talk about it now, but will hopefully be all recharged in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment