Thursday, February 7, 2013

I never knew I had an easy life

I have been watching Roy's family for a few days now and although I cannot hold a conversation with most of them due to the language barrier, I have been able to conclude a few things. First, they are very close to each other in spite of the stories I have heard about family fights and arguments over how to handle family matters,etc. they are also quite different than what I expected from the stories I have heard. Roy's dad has 8 brothers and sisters all of which I have given a nickname previously to help remember them. There's naked uncle, short uncle, and South Africa uncle. Then there is projector cousin's mom, weird uncle aunt, and I love you aunt. (The 2nd oldest I have no name for and she isn't here to obtain one) They have all been very warm and friendly to me. The uncles have gotten us cold soda and helped carry the baby and forever ask me if I have eaten food yet today( one more day of rice and I'll surely die, first person to FedEx me a big plate of spaghetti and meatballs or a surf and turf meal with a side of fries gets a $1000).

What I have most realized is how privileged my life is. I have seen each aunt hand wash their clothes in the shower every morning and then hang it upstairs on the line to dry. They wash dishes as they are used and are forever straightening up the bed area and sweeping the floor with this little broom.  Here we walk to the corner store numerous times a day to get these little bags of milk, fruit, snacks or anything else we need. It is 3 stories- 6 flights up, with no elevator to get to the apartment. The fridge makes water Luke warm at best, so I am forever filling little ice cube trays of bottled water to add to the big bottle if water we got. I shower in a tiny bathroom where the water runs everywhere and the only ventilation is a small slatted window and the water is generally cold unless I am willing to wait on the hot which takes up to 10 min- never to come and then practically scalds you from the solar panel heated water tank on the roof.

It is truly a humbling feeling to be here and see how people live very happily without washers and dryers, hot water, air conditioning, dishwashers, electricity part time, or even quick self sufficient transportation to anywhere you can't walk to. Don't get me wrong, I miss those "necessities" but I feel like we have to keep it all in perspective when we have to buy the latest gadgets to replace last year's latest gadgets. We live a really easy life that we over complicate with so many material items. I am ashamed to say I never understood the depth of it until I came to India.

1 comment:

  1. I have similar feelings to you. Everything here in the US is significantly less difficult than it is in India. Even simple things like walking are much harder on your body in India. Not just because of stairs but because the concrete leaves your body to absorb all of the shock.

    A tip for water, finish half a bottle and freeze it. Then once it's frozen, fill it with water from another bottle. Drink that and it will be cold and stay cold. Then you put the remaining half from the second bottle into the freezer. That way you always have plenty of ice for your water on hand.

    ReplyDelete