Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Swimming in the Papaya field

Roy wanted to plan something extra special for Kaila's 19th Birthday, so when his friend Ravi suggested we go to his Aunt and Uncle's Country Farm overnight we thought it sounded like a lot of fun.  Ravi is a good guy and knows that we wouldn't be comfortable in a dump, so he assured us the place would be very nice and we would have a great time.  Apparently the Aunt and Uncle only go out there a few times a month, so the place would be ours.

When someone says country farm I have a vision of one of those big old plantation houses in the south with a long wrap around porch and lots of charm,  I was fairly certain that wasn't what we were going to, but my hopes were high.

So, last night we rented a travel van which seats about 12 and loaded up us 5, Mom and Dad, Ravi and Ageet (Roy's other close school friend) and headed what I was told was an hour North of Bangalore.   It was dark out, so i didn't get a good view of where we were going, but knew it was progressively getting higher and cooler.   We drove for what seemed like miles down a stone, rocky road off the highway until we got to a big fence with several barking dogs.  The house looked nice as far as I could tell from the outside, but it was late and honestly i was tired and just wanted to sleep.  The inside of the house was quite nice for India standards.  Just one bedroom and bathroom.  The house was well decorated, but in typical Indian style had what looked like an unfinished kitchen (it has been there for years) and virtually no living room furniture.  It did, however, have some cool details- take a look:


The last one is the house in the morning after I got a chance to look around.   I also heard there was a swimming pool which is quite unusual in India. Most people I know don't know how to swim and are afraid of water, so recreational swimming isn't very common here.  I was hopeful it would be nice, even though I knew I had to swim in my full clothes if I wanted to go.  

After a good night's sleep I was one of the first up, and was shocked when I walked outside to see these views:


This is a banana, mango, and papaya farm as well as  a country home for the couple who own it.  The air was so clean, and the breeze was so light and wonderful it made me wonder why we didn't come sooner and stay longer.   There was the most beautiful flowers and fruit everywhere, so I just had to take some pictures:



And animals:




And my favorite part of the day:



They didn't fill the pool all the way because water is sometimes scarce out there and although they will re-use this for watering the fields they didn't want to run that much water now, which was fine because these guys can't swim in that deep of water anyway! LOL

Well, we are off to Siliguri tomorrow for the wedding reception and then the next day home for just a few hours and off to the airport to head home.  As usual, I have mixed emotions.  The kids and I were discussing which food from home we want first- is it burgers, spaghetti, pizza, Chinese.  I would sell my soul to the devil for just a quick nap in my own bed, ok, would love a Butch's pizza next to me and a large curly fry. I may not get to write about Siliguri until we return home Friday evening.  Pray for me all goes well with the flights and we return in time for our flight home!
 


                                     
 

No comments:

Post a Comment