Sunday, February 3, 2013

Wedding prep- Day 1

Weddings take a lot of planning, that's true anywhere, but here it is like a moving target which definitely adds a layer of complexity to the process.   We have been talking about this wedding for so long, I should be prepared for what is coming but somehow when there was a knock at the door yesterday afternoon I was still surprised to see 2 very dark skinned, dirty guys carrying big piles of  blankets, pillows, and Indian style mattresses.  Shortly, all the living room furniture was being carried out and load after load was brought into our tiny apartment.
 
Later on, Roy went shopping for all the Indian staples- onions, garlic, potatoes, lentils, rice, spices.  All in huge quantities.  When they were done, our living room (called 'The Hall' in India) looked like this:

Next up:  the cooks.  Well, I was misled a little bit because these were the same guys who brought the tents and set them up, as well as all the cooking supplies.  I guess I expected them to look a little more cook-like, but I sometimes forget where I am. Rarely does India provide the expected.


All of the cooking and meal eating will be done on the roof of our apartment (most people here use the roof just for laundry drying or sometimes keeping plants or a place for kid's to play), which seems strange in theory but we tested it this afternoon and it seems like it will be just fine.   It may be of interest to note the Indian version of a paper plate made from a dried banana leaf!  Even Jordan didn't seem to mind (much...) but the potato curry and puri (fried bread) was really good.



I was, however, pleasantly surprised by the tents.  I expected hard white plastic tents or something similar to a camping tent, but instead we got this:   Pretty nice I thought.


I hear a few more people dropped out of the wedding, so I think we are down to 12 coming to stay here (in addition to us 8 who are already staying here).  I am not sure if this is common of not, I'm guessing it is (back to my moving target comment earlier) so we just keep adjusting and readjusting as needed.  As usual nobody seems to mind, so I try not to either. (and in this case it is somewhat of a good thing as I still am unable to visualize how we will get that many people in here)

That's about it, for today.  It has been a leisure day for the kids and I.  Kaila is working on homework, Jordan is listening to his ipod and pretending to do homework, and Miss Shivali is doing what she does best:

Tonight we are off to Commercial Street to shop. Picture this-  Narrow streets filled with vendors of all types, packed with shoppers, oh and they let you drive cars down these streets.  If I had to describe what it is like....hmmm..... it is kinda like going to a flea market at an ant hill while you're on crack.  It's good fun. I'll see if I can get some pics : )



No comments:

Post a Comment